Health and Safety
GD Harries & Sons Ltd (The Organisation) is committed to eliminating hazards, reducing risk and providing a safe working environment for our employees and others who may be affected by our activities.
Compliance with legislation is the minimum acceptable standard and we are committed to achieving the highest levels of health and safety performance and continual improvement.
The Organisation implements and communicates a comprehensive Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) management system aligned to ISO 45001 that is designed to identify hazards and risks and mitigate or eliminate them.
Responsibilities for health and safety are defined in our Health and Safety Management System. The day-to-day management of health and safety is a responsibility of managers at all levels but overall responsibility rests with the Director.
The Organisation will achieve our OHS objectives by:
- Setting and communicating OHS objectives and targets; and reviewing them
- Training all staff in the relevant aspects and impacts of their OHS duties
- Fully engaging with our workforce and interested parties and consulting with our personnel on OHS matters. We recognise that successful health and safety management can only be achieved with the support and commitment of our employees. All employees will be actively encouraged to take ownership of health and safety and empowered to assist in decision making.
- Encouraging a culture of safety, surveillance, care and reporting of hazards
- Implementing occupational, behavioural and wellbeing schemes to protect the safety of our personnel
- Ensuring that our OHS systems comply with legislative requirements
- Ensuring that this policy and its systems are implemented and maintained at all levels throughout the organisation and changes to the systems are communicated
- Learning from best practice and day-to-day activities in order to continually improve our performance and prevent reoccurrence of incidents
- Ensuring that the system continues to be effective and compliant with the needs of both our Organisation and interested parties
- Ensuring that all employees have the appropriate systems, equipment, training/ instruction and skills to undertake the roles required and are aware of their OHS responsibilities to themselves, other workers and all of those affected by our activities.
The OHS is delivered through our Health and Safety Policy and associated forms and documents, which are made available to all. Compliance with this policy is a condition of employment.
The company will review this policy at least annually and revise it as often as is appropriate in response to changes and learning.
Construction Services Director
Reviewed 1st September 2023